PLEASE NOTE: The Harbour Museum will close to the public on 16th December, 2011. Arrangements for accessing archive and genealogy services will be available shortly. Telephone 028 71 377 331.
The former Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioner’s Office, built in 1882, was officially opened on 18 May 1995 as the Harbour Museum. It is a listed (Grade B) building. Situated beside the Guildhall, the building operates as the headquarters of the Heritage and Museum Service of Derry City Council.
This content requires Adobe Flash Player
Respecting the Victorian architecture and décor of the building the Harbour Museum has been designed as a ‘glass case’ museum. An eclectic collection of objects is on display showing the city’s maritime connections from architectural drawings, early maps and plans of the city to archaeological finds. The centrepiece of the Museum is the 30 ft ‘Iona Curragh’, used in 1963 by a group of clerics to replicate the journey undertaken by St. Colmcille to Iona in 563 AD.
Heritage and Museum Service
Telephone: 028 71377331
Fax: 028 7137 7633
E-mail: [email protected]