Gas Heating and Appliance Installations
Gas Safe Register will replace CORGI gas registration in Northern Ireland on 1st April 2010.
To carry out work on gas installations and appliances safely and legally in Northern Ireland after 31 March 2010, gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. Gas installations may require an application under the Building Regulations Please contact Derry City Council’s Building Control Department at 028 71376521 to determine if an application is required.
Gas Safe Register deals with all aspects of the downstream gas industry covered by the following regulations:
Northern Ireland: The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2004
They cover both piped natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). It is law that anyone carrying out gas work that is within the scope of the appropriate Regulations is on the Gas Safe Register. The register is there to protect consumers from unsafe gas work. Your status as a registered engineer is evidence that you are working legally and you are competent and safe to work with gas.
Gas Safe Register will:
- Raise public awareness of gas safety and the gas register,
- Manage inspection and enforcement,
- Provide technical support and standards updates to registered engineers, and
- Provide facilities for the reporting of notifiable gas work.
The Gas Safe Register Brand
- Gas Safe Register is the official stamp for gas safety and it carries with it a simple message; gas, safe, register – keep gas safe.
- This powerful symbol is about gas safety and the meaning is clear. A Gas Safe registered engineer is safe to work with gas.
- As well as being the identity for the register, Gas Safe Register will be used for a range of gas safety campaigns. Gas Safe Register will be held in trust by the Health and Safety Executive and will remain the official stamp for gas safety. There will always be a Gas Safe Register, and as long as you remain registered, you will always be a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Gas Safe Register provides a service that allows you to report gas work that is notifiable under the Building Regulations.